Friday, August 25, 2017

Power???

This week has been a major reminder about the power of humanity.  The eclipse covered much of the country, where for a few brief moments, the moon blocked the light of the sun.  For those outside the range of totality, it was far less dramatic, but once we put on our eclipse glasses the dramatic images were revealed.


Meanwhile, in Texas, we see Hurricane Harvey barreling toward the state, threatening rain measured in feet and winds that can cause great damage.


Then in Massachusetts a woman finds herself suddenly extraordinarily wealthy.  


There are two old jokes that immediately come to mind:


On the lottery:
Moishe, who was in financial difficulty, walked into a synagogue and started to pray. ''Listen God,'' Moishe said. ''I know I haven't been perfect but I really need to win the lottery. I don't have a lot of money. Please help me out.'' He left the shul, a week went by, and he hadn't won the lottery, so he walked into a different synagogue. ''Come on, God,'' he said. ''I really need this money. My mom needs surgery and I have bills to pay. Please let me win the lottery.'' He left the synagogue, a week went by, and he didn't win the lottery.  Finally he walks into a third shul, ''You're starting to disappoint me, God,'' he said. ''I've prayed and prayed. If you just let me win the lottery, I'll be a better person. I don't have to win the jackpot, just enough to get me out of debt. I'll give some to charity, even. Just let me win the lottery.'' Moishe thought this did it, so he got up and walked outside.
The clouds opened up and a booming voice said, ''Moishe, help me out a little, buy a ticket.''
https://parade.com/156290/marilynvossavant/should-you-buy-identical-lottery-tickets/
On the Hurricane:
A man was trapped in his house during a flood. He began praying to God to rescue him. He had a vision in his head of God’s hand reaching down from heaven and lifting him to safety. The water started to rise in his house. His neighbour urged him to leave and offered him a ride to safety. The man yelled back, “I am waiting for God to save me.” The neighbour drove off in his pick-up truck.
The man continued to pray and hold on to his dream. As the water began rising in his house, he had to climb up to the roof. A boat came by with some people heading for safe ground. They yelled at the man to grab a rope they were ready to throw and take him to safety. He told them that he was waiting for God to save him. They shook their heads and moved on.
The man continued to pray, believing with all his heart that he would be saved by God. The flood waters continued to rise. A helicopter flew by and a voice came over a loudspeaker offering to lower a ladder and take him off the roof. The man waved the helicopter away, shouting back that he was waiting for God to save him. The helicopter left. The flooding water came over the roof and caught him up and swept him away. He drowned.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/house-prices-rebound-after-floods-but-not-in-all-suburbs-20140702-zstf9.html
When he reached heaven and asked, “God, why did you not save me? I believed in you with all my heart. Why did you let me drown?” God replied, “I sent you a pick-up truck, a boat and a helicopter and you refused all of them. What else could I possibly do for you?”

Do we do our part?  What do we expect from the Holy One and what do we do to contribute to our betterment and that of the world?  This week reminds me that we do not have the power to change EVERYTHING--yet nothing will change if we put it only on the Holy One.  We are PARTNERS in creation--not passive reactors.  We must be actors in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment