Friday, February 28, 2014

Superman Sam and gratitude

Gratitude.  Thanks.  Appreciation. תודה

In the Jewish tradition we say blessings daily.  We thank God that we wake up, that our soul has been restored, that we can move and breathe and see and walk.  We even say these blessings when not all of those conditions are true, praying that we can say them fully again.  We have blessings for eating and drinking and seeing a beautiful tree, flower, or person.  Over my desk I have a very old poster from the Melton Research Center for Jewish Education reminding me of the blessings of appreciation for fragrant trees, fruits, on seeing thunder, etc.
In my mind, one of the greatest gifts of Judaism is this reminder to stop and THINK, to stop and THANK.
Whether as part of the formal liturgy or in a moment of quiet, I try to regularly demonstrate to myself and those in my life that I am grateful for their existence.  I try to count my blessings and thank God for the gift of my life, for the gift of my rabbinate, for the gift of Newburgh and Congregation Agudas Israel.

In that vein, I am also grateful for sadness.  I am grateful that I have empathy and can hear the joy and the sadness in the lives of others.  I am grateful that I can listen to the stories of others (one of the greatest gifts of being a rabbi!).  

I believe that I have previously spoken of Superman Sam, a young boy who died a few months ago from a particularly aggressive cancer.  As a response, 36 rabbis (more than that now) began fundraising for research for childhood cancers. http://www.stbaldricks.org/events/mypage/10921/2014/  They are close to their goal of $360,000 raised!

I am grateful to the family of Superman Sam.  Not only did they choose to share the difficult story of their son's diagnosis, treatment, remission, relapse and passing, but they are continuing to share their grief and joy in the months since.  Sharing their story, they remind us that every single person has a story, that every single person has trials, tribulations, joy and wonder in their lives.  We ALL have good days and bad days.  We ALL have blessings and curses in our lives.  Through it all, through heartbreak and loss, this family has shared holiness, blessing and love of God, Torah and Israel.  Their story is a lesson for all of us:

http://supermansamuel.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment