Friday, April 5, 2013

Marriage Equality

My letter to the Times Herald Record today. Let's see if it gets published!

I read in the THR Friday from a minister saying that only G-d defines marriage. While that may be the case in his church, as is his first amendment right, NY state defines marriage within this state. He is free to perform any marriage legal in the state and is under no pressure to perform gay marriages in his church.

On TV and in the paper, we often equate religion and anti-gay or even homophobic sentiments. As a Conservative Rabbi, I remember that one of the first parts of creation was G-d noting that it was "not good for man to be alone." I cannot imagine a loving G-d, who would create people with no acceptable marriage possibility. That is why I support marriage equality.

If fundamentalists of any stripe are going to spend a lot of time parsing Leviticus, they should join me in keeping kosher: abandoning pork, shellfish and mixed meat/dairy meals. If they aren't willing to live by the laws of the Bible, perhaps they shouldn't impose them on others. That, too, is the principle of the First Amendment.

No comments:

Post a Comment